Thursday, August 29, 2019

Satire: Let's talk about Children in the LDS Church

<Satire>

By Dr. Julie Hanks

Previously, I posted about women in the LDS church on Facebook.  I opened by reminding everyone that my views are often misrepresented as men vs. women.  I then thoroughly refuted that by contrasting how we look at men vs. how we look at women.  Fortunately, most of my followers were able to ignore the thick envy that guided my post... so I decided to make a followup post about children in the LDS church along the same lines.

First off, (in case you were wondering) I'm still going to avoid referring to the church by its official name, while reminding you to be sensitive to the language you use... because, President Nelson was only a heart surgeon; I'm the therapist!

Second, I notice that there are few children represented in General Conference talks.  In fact, it is incredibly rare to see anyone younger than 30 speak.  Is it because of our subconscious hatred of children?  You might not think so, but yes, it definitely is.

I also have noticed how few children are in decision making councils in the church.  Sure, leaders say they love children, but unless you let some one make all policy decisions for you, do you actually love them?

Along the same lines, I want to encourage church leaders to do more of what I want... because that's the sign of a church led by God.

As a church, we can do more!  We can do better!  Because while members of the church try to follow Christ and his Apostles today, together, we can inspire them to follow social media influencers instead. (Remember to like and share this post!)

</Satire>